Mold can grow in any environment that has moisture and a food source. The perfect storm of conditions is often present for crawl spaces: dark areas with poor air circulation, which make them ideal environments for mold to thrive on. You may not know how much you’re surrounded by this dangerous substance – until it affects your health or homeownership ambitions.
So here, we will discuss ways YOU could be exposed, along with dangers posed from having too many molds around, and then provide tips about mold removal Mint Hill to prevent these problems from coming back.
Should You Worry About Mold in Crawl Space?
If you have a crawl space in your home, you may be wondering if you need to worry about mold. Well, it depends on the conditions in your crawl space. If it is properly ventilated and has no standing water, mold is not likely to be a problem.
However, if the room is damp or humid or water continuously leaks into the space, mold can grow and cause several issues.
Mold spores are everywhere, and some people are more sensitive to them than others. Mold exposure can cause various health problems, including respiratory issues, skin irritation, and even neurological issues.
Mold can damage your property. It can rot wood, cause paint to peel, and generally make your home look and feel run down.
Mold can impact your home’s value. If you’re trying to sell your home, potential buyers will be turned off by the presence of mold and may offer a lower price or refuse to buy your home altogether.
Common Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Worried that you might be experiencing the effects of crawl space mold?
There are a variety of symptoms that can occur with mold exposure, and they can vary depending on the person and the type of mold they are exposed to.
You should watch out for these common symptoms:
Respiratory problems such as coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing
Eye irritation (red, itchy, or watery)
It is recommended to seek medical attention if you have any of these symptoms, along with professional mold removal Mint Hill as your precautionary option.
How to Tell If You Have a Mold Problem
If you’re not sure whether or not you have a mold problem, there are a few ways to tell. One is to do a visual inspection of your home. Mold often appears as black, green, or brown spots and can be found in damp areas like bathrooms and basements. The spores are released into the air when the mold colony grows.
You can also test for mold by taking a piece of duct tape and sticking it to a surface. If the tape starts to peel off, there’s likely mold growing on that surface. If your home has a musty odor, there’s also a good chance you have a mold problem.
Regardless of the case, a specialized mold removal Mint Hill can help to assess the situation and take corrective action.
The Health Risks Associated with Mold Exposure
Mold is a fungus that can grow anywhere there is moisture. It can be found both indoors and outdoors, and it comes in many different colors, including green, white, black, and orange. It desires to live in damp places such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. A leaky roof or pipes is another compelling reason for mold to move in and grow.
As mentioned earlier, mold exposure can cause a variety of health problems. The most common issues are respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergies. However, people with compromised immune systems or existing health conditions may be more susceptible to the adverse effects of mold and may require medical treatment.
Infants, young children, pregnant women, and the elderly are at risk too. People who are sensitive to mold should avoid areas where it is present, and they should always wear protective gear when working with or cleaning up mold.
The Dangers of Black Mold
There is a type of mold called black mold that can be especially harmful. It releases toxins that can cause serious health problems, including respiratory failure and, in some cases, death.
If you think you may have black mold in your crawl space, you should get rid of it as soon as possible. You can do this by using a DIY kit, though hiring a professional to clean up the mold is much preferable.
How Do I Get Rid of Mold in My House Naturally?
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think much about mold. It’s that nasty black stuff that grows on bread when you forget to put it in the fridge, right? Several types of molds can grow in your home. Some are harmless, while others can cause severe health problems.
That’s why it is essential to keep your home spaces clean and dry. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
Ventilate your home as much as possible to improve air circulation.
Remove any standing water or moisture from your crawl space.
Use a dehumidifier to reduce the amount of moisture in the air.
Remove any items that may be harboring molds, such as carpet or upholstered furniture.
Wipe down surfaces with a vinegar and water solution to kill mold spores. Otherwise, mix equal vinegar and baking soda parts, then spray the moldy area. Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing with a brush. [Text Wrapping Break][Text Wrapping Break]Tee tree oil is another natural solution. Simply add 20 drops of it to a gallon of water and spray on the affected areas. Let the solution sit for at least 10 minutes before wiping it up with a damp sponge or cloth.
Baking soda could be effective when used alone, too. It is a natural deodorizer that helps eliminate mold. To use, simply mix it with water to form a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Then, wipe down with a damp sponge or cloth.
Use a biocide such as borax to kill the mold spores. It is a natural disinfectant deemed effective at fighting off mold spores. To use borax, mix one cup with one gallon of water. [Text Wrapping Break][Text Wrapping Break]Then, apply the mixture to the affected area with a sponge or brush. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
How Do I Get Rid of Mold in My House Using Chemicals?
If you want to get rid of crawl space mold using chemicals, there are a few options:
Identify the mold you are dealing with. Common household mold includes spores, mildew, and black mold.
Prepare the area by removing all affected material using a respirator, hazmat suit, and gloves. Make sure the area is well-ventilated.
Apply an EPA-registered fungicide to the affected area. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when applying a chemical cleaner.
Wait for the fungicide to dry, then seal the treated area with plastic sheeting.
Monitor the treated area for any signs of re-growth.
You can also use bleach to remove mold, though it is a harsh chemical and should be used sparingly. Be sure to wear gloves and a mask as it can be harmful to your skin and respiratory system. Mix it with water in a bottle and spray the solution on the affected spot. Before rinsing off with clean water, let the bleach sit for a few minutes, preferably 15 minutes.
When using any chemicals, you should read the labels and follow the instructions carefully to avoid causing damage to your home or harming yourself.
Additionally, it is essential to note that some mold spores may resist certain chemicals. Hence, it is possible that you will not be able to remove all mold from your home using this method completely. You can only use it as a last resort.
If you think you may have black mold in your crawl space and are uncomfortable using chemicals or are concerned about the health risks associated with mold exposure, it might be best to hire mold removal Mint Hill performed by experts. They will have the equipment and expertise necessary to remove the mold safely.
Safety First! CrawlSpace Xperts Offers Top-Notch Mold Removal Mint Hill NC
If you have a crawl space, you must keep it clean and mold-free. Otherwise, your home can start to develop a musty smell, and your family can become sick. Fortunately, our team at CrawlSpace Xperts is here to help with all your mold removal Mint Hill needs and requirements!
We use cutting-edge technology and equipment to remediate mold quickly and efficiently, including high-powered vacuums and HEPA filters. We also take care to contain the mold so that it doesn’t spread to other areas of your home.
Plus, we offer various services to improve the air quality in your home, including a dehumidifier and vapor barrier.
To schedule a free consultation, you can call us at (980) 281-2404.